Sunday, December 04, 2005

Xmas At The Douthies...

Last night, (Saturday night) saw us celebrate our first (and hopefully not our last) social event on what is considered the busy social month of the calendar year.

Michael and I had spent the day tidying and prettying up the front and back yard, making potato salad, garden salads, home made hamburgers and freshly baked bread, all while looking after our 9 month precious little man.

We had organised a gathering for about 20 of our closest friends, Xmas At The Douthies. Well come kick off time, 6:00pm, seem to be an hour later than was posted 7:00pm, we had 13 guests willing to take the field. Yes, I was disappointed that we didn't have a full team, but this is always going to happen. I had one phone call during the day (apologising) and another just as the first of the guests were arriving. Although disappointed both callers couldn't make it, I was appreciative of them letting me know.

This time around we had asked the guest to all bring something to contribute towards the evening (to help the hip pocket out a little bit). We had offerings of salad and drinks (thanks Fi & Glen), Honey Maple Chicken wings (thumbs up Leeanne & John), Tandoori Chicken Kebabs and Potato Chippies (way to go April & Owen), the yummiest of desserts, Tiramisu Cheesecake and Chocolate Mudcake (a moment on the lips that can linger for every.....yuummmm, thanks Shaz) and Naomi, Glen Max and little Tamsin supplied the Chippies, Chocolates, Dips, Crackers, Cheese and Kabana. Our contribution, well as written above, homemade Bread, Hamburgers, Potato Salad and a Garden Salad, and shop bought Sausages.

The night got off to a quiet start, with everyone sort of sitting around in a deadly silence (thank god we had taken the stereo outside) well that is how it felt to me anyway. I was trying to place host and catch up with everyone at the same time, while tending to my 9 month old, Ryan and also getting food ready. As the evening grew older the noise level started to rise, which was fantastic. Made me feel a bit better about it all. I was worried the dynamics were all wrong and the mix of people wouldn't work, but I think we got away with it in the end.

Strangely the boys tend to congregate around the bbq and all cook together, not on this occassion though. Michael was left to tend to the barbie himself, quite strange (so I took over from him so he could sit down and eat, mind you I hadn't eaten at that stage either), this probably why all the food wasn't presented (as cooked) at the same time. Patties and sausages went out first, and by the time all the chicken had been cooked everyone was too full to want any. Very disappointing, but it was the same as dessert, Shari had gone to the trouble of baking a Tiramasu Cheesecake, and also a Chocolate Mud Cake only to have about a quarter of each eaten.

Naomi had bought her two children along, Max, 3 and Tamsin 6 weeks. They are both gorgeous kids. Max was so well behaved, a real pleasure to have around. I was trying to imagine Ryan when he gets to Max's age, but it seems so far away. And little Tams, well I got Ryan's old bassinette out for her to sleep in. It felt so strange wheeling it through the house empty, but it looked so complete once she was in it. Having Tams around made me realise just how ready I am for another one. I was checking up on her every few minutes as if she were my own.

It was great getting everyone together before christmas, pity the rest couldn't make it. I just wish, for me it hadn't felt like they were all leaving just as I had finished eating. Our first guests probably left around 10:30'ish and the last around 11:00pm.

Thanks Naomi and Glen for offering to stay and help clean up, and Fi & Glen for staying to help clean up, greatly appreciated. Everyones dishes that they bought are all here and clean waiting to be reunited with their rightful owners. Leeanne, thank you ever so much for putting Ryan's first gift under the tree too, you naughty thing you certainly didn't have to buy him anything, but I am sure he will love whatever it is when he opens it.

After everyone had left Michael and I were sitting our the back going now what? Being totally honest to me it didn't feel like one of the best gatherings I have organised, but I can't put a finger on why. Someone elses turn next time.

No comments: