Monday, December 26, 2005

Our First Christmas as a Little Family...

Wow, another Christmas been and gone…I think today we are all suffering that Christmas hangover….tired and lethargic, but oh so willing to graze on all the yummy tummy left overs.

Christmas for us this year started Christmas Eve, Michael, myself and Ryan had a sleep over at Nan & Pop’s. We got to Mum and Dad’s around 4:00pm, we wanted to get there before my brother Michael and his wife, Cecelia dropped Seth off for the evening (we were Seth sitting) along with Mum and Dad’s Christmas presents. Neither Mum nor Dad knew what they were getting from Mick and Cec, but (my) Michael and I did. A pair of budgies, one male, the other female, as we all thought their house was little too quiet since Aussie (aka Girl Bird) passed away.

We managed to get both the birds and the cage inside without too much fuss and without Mum and Dad seeing it. We put them on the kitchen table, and called them into the room. Mum did infact hear the birds but thought they were the birds outside. Dad named the male bird Herbie, while Mum names the female Chrissie, short for Christmas but soon after the name Holly was thought of, and so Herbie and Holly it was.

Traditional Christmas Eve tea in our house (well Mum and Dad’s, hell, you know what I mean) is either cold or fried ham and fried eggs for tea. Has been traditional Christmas Eve tea for as long as I can remember. We always have to try out the ham before Christmas day. Mum and Dad had visitors over, and Michael and I sort of took over the babysitting duties. Seth is such a little cutie. I think we got to bed around 2:30am…probably my latest Christmas Eve ever.

Ryan also had his first bath in a proper bath too. He loved it. So much more room to splash around in. At home we are still using his baby bath, (due to the set up of our bathroom) and he is getting so big for it now.

Christmas day and Mum and Dad’s tree was the fullest it had ever been. Lucky they bought a new tree this year otherwise the old 3ft tree would have been absolutely swamped. We don’t do a breakfast as such, just cereal, toast whatever you can find, and we save the feasting for lunch time and then continue to graze throughout the afternoon. A table laid with Chicken, Pork, Turkey and Ham…with Potato Salad, Coleslaw and a Pasta Salad, with scrummy bake at home rolls was our Christmas fare.

After lunch and after Ryan and Seth had both been fed we all gathered around the tree out in the sunroom. So many presents, but this year was special it was our first as parents, as it was for Mick and Cec, and also Mum and Dad’s as grandparents. Let’s just say the boys were spoilt.

Michael and I were pretty spoilt too, jointly we got a new toaster, and also a stab mixer, which will benefit Ryan no end. Oh, yeah and the McGuiness McDermott Adelaide Crows Monopoly board game. Michael also received the Steve Waugh book and Ricky Ponting memoirs and two CD’s, The Killers and Nickleback. Me, well I got ‘Destiny’s No. 1’s’ CD, and also Robbie Williams, ‘Swing when you’re winning’. Michael also got be a voucher to get my belly button pierced, or should I say re pierced, it took it out when I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Ryan. And my gorgeous little man, Ryan bought me (well he told Daddy want he wanted to get me) a diary for my handbag for the coming year. A diary that has West Highland White Terriers on every page. My little boy has taste...

Desert/Afternoon tea was a choice of either Christmas pudding or Chocolate Mud Cake served with custard and/or ice cream. Mmmm…. Can’t beat Michel’s Patisserie Mud Cake with Ice Cream and custard.

We had a very relaxing afternoon, just sitting around chatting and playing with the boys while Dad dozed in the lounge. We don’t get to see Mick and Cec that often so it was great to have some quality time with them, and not have to share them with their friends, I know that sounds selfish, but that is normally how things are. When they are down they are in such high demand, we usually get squeezed in when we can. This time is and has been different. Now they have a son, Mum and Dad another Grandson and Michael, Ryan and I a Nephew and Cousin they are trying to get as much family time in as possible.

Mick and Cec, and little Seth, left later in the afternoon. Michael and I stay down for the traditional tea of leftovers and also to sit down and watch the DanceSport Ballroom Championships as we do every year. Another one of our traditions. Michael and I wondered home around 11:00pm. Took us a little while to gather our goods and chattels, but it didn’t seem to take that long unpacking once we got home.

We got to bed a little earlier last night, myself around midnight with Michael following an hour or so later. Very exhausted, but very content.

No comments: