Saturday, November 05, 2005

We've Turned The Corner....YAY!

Well over the last two months we have been struggling to get my gorgeous little man to take solids and to aslo sleep during the day. I have been trying since Ryan was 6 months old to introduce solids and get him to have am/pm naps...but to no avail. In realisation his lack of sleeping during the day could be put down to hunger, although he wasn't crying as if hungry.

I was feeling like a failure as a mother and I was also placing a lot more pressure on myself due to Ryan's carer at Child Care, telling me he should be doing this and he should be doing that....I have battled these thoughts and feeling for two months. It doesn't help when you are constantly being told that his carer is worried that he isn't developing as fast as he should be. Although not all babies are the same I told her, but what would I know, I am a new mum and she has had 20 years child care experience and is an ex nurse.

I had made an appointment with our local CYH just for a health check and a bit of chat about getting my little man interested in solids and inturn hopefully help his developement. I was starting to get a little more paranoid than I already was.

Fast forward to Ryan's 8 month birthday.

This was the day that he successfully starting taking solids at child care. I was so happy, yet a little reserved at the same time, as prior he had been having solids only every other day, and it was affecting his weight. Nope from the 26th October he has been having 3 feeds a day, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea, with his usual boob or bottle inbetween.

I am so excited, Ryan's little mouth opens up as soon as he sees the spoon coming, just like a baby birds at the thought of it's mother feeding it. For the first few days we had to use a second spoon as a distraction, something he could play with and get the feel off while playing with it in his mouth. But the last few meals have been an absolute delight...Ryan makes me feel so proud when he sits there and looks at me as if to say 'more'....

Inturn, now that he is taking solids his naps/sleep during the day are also starting to improve. We were lucky if we could get 20 - 30 mins out of him and no afternoon sleep. We are now up to 1 - 1 1/2 hours in the morning, and on good days about the same in the arvo, although some days will see him go without his afternoon nap. I am still working on this.

Nothing has made me feel so good as to see Ryan sitting in his little rocker with his mouth open in anticipation. My little man is growing up...

No comments: