Monday, September 29, 2003

My Wedding Speech...

To break from tradition I refused to say "honour and obey"......I didn't wear a white dress and I am definitely not going to keep quiet at the reception. Michael will testify that I always try to get the last word in...

It is true to say that a bride's wedding day is just as special for her parents as it is for her. They have watched their daughter grow from a newborn baby totally dependant, to a grown women full of independence arriving at her wedding day. It is not often that we as children get an opportunity to thank our parents publicly for all they've done for us. I ask that you bear with me as I take this moment to do just that.

As a little girl I can remember Mum and Dad always tucking me in and kissing me goodnight, covering my scraped knee with a Band-Aid, holding my hand while walking me to school, helping me with my homework. As the years passed and I was finding out about live, love and heartache, there they were. Good old Mum and Dad, always ready with a big heart and even bigger hanky ready to wipe away the tears.

My first very special thank you must be to my wonderful parents, Brian and Margaret. The support, encouragement and love that you have shown me over the years has been enormous.
I am the person you see before you today because of these two very special people. They taught me to believe in myself and that anything I wanted to do in life; I could do, if I set my mind to it.

They also taught me to be independent from a very young age. I'm sure Michael would NOT thank them for this as I can be incredibly stubborn sometimes as a result, in fact if I was a character from the Little Mr and Little Miss books, without a doubt I would be Little Miss Independent - but it always made me aware that when I did get married, if I got married, it would be to the right man at the right time and that is certainly true. I was given a fantastic education and they instilled in me values that I hope to bring to my marriage with Michael. I can only hope that I can create the same feeling of welcome and happiness in our home as they have always had in theirs...

Mum and Dad I love you both so much and it is difficult to express the gratitude that I have for this wonderful day. So much time and effort has gone into every detail. My parents have truly provided me with the wedding of my dreams and it is only with wonderful memories that I will think of this day forever.

A little under 3 years ago, when I first met Michael I had just come out of a five year relationship and definitely wasn't thinking about, let alone looking for another relationship. So it is a little surprising to find myself standing here beginning a new chapter of my life as Mrs Douthie.

One person that I must thank, or some (light heartedly) might say blame for us all being here tonight, is a good friend. Win Johnson. Winnie, Winnie, Winnie (possibly get the bridal party to go oi, oi, oi here). I thank you for convincing me to put a tape in for Blue Heelers and come out bowling instead of staying home on my first night back from down south. As little girls we always dream of dressing up like princess' or brides. Well today I got to live that dream and in part it is because of you.

I know Michael's has formally thanked the bridesmaids, but hey they're my bridesmaids, so I am going to steal part of his thunder. Wendy, Cecelia, and Jodi thank you for everything. I'd realised that I had chosen well on my hen's night when Wendy and Jodes went out of their way not to remove temptation but in trying to convince temptation to stay, alas temptation was no longer a problem. Cess, although you couldn't be there to share it with us you were there in spirit. Seriously though, you have all been a wonderful help in preparing for this day and more importantly wonderful friends in every sense of the word.

Wendy and to you Craig, I want to thank you both especially for the friendship, love and support you have shown me over the last 7 years. In those first 5 years of our friendship, living so far from Mum and Dad you guys became my family, and showed me I much support and love in a time where it was truly needed. Your door was always open to me, and a bed always at the ready, damn I missed out on those pink pancakes though. Your continued support, friendship and love flowed when I introduced you my now husband, Michael. You made him feel just as welcome as you did me, the first time we met. I thank you so much and I am honored that you both along with Chelsea and Shania (who looked absolutely gorgeous today) accepted our invitation to be part of our special day and more so part of our bridal party. I love you both.
Friendships can be found and forged in many different ways, whether it is be as best friends growing up, new found friends, or even old friendships reignited by chance. True friends will always be there for you in one sense or another.

It is at this point that I must say a very special and heartfelt thank you to our wonderful celebrant today and special friend, John. I first met John 8 years, when he was Chaplain to a previous employer. Along came this open and caring, honest and sincere man, always ready for a chat, or a laugh, but more importantly an ear. There have been times over the last 8 years where John has been my rock, my confidante, my friend when I was at my lowest. It is very hard to put into words, how I feel about this man and just what he did for me, but I guess the most important person knows, so quite simply I will say 'John I feel blessed that I met you all those years ago, and I value the very special friendship that we have, and hope will continue to have.

Finally, I want to mention a very special person, Michael. It sounds silly to say that I wouldn't be here without him but it's true. Michael you've given me everything I could want - love, friendship and a future. It is said that you marry a man like your Dad and if that's true - then kind, generous, loving, caring, supportive, always there when you need him and great to hug is what I'm getting. I am looking forward to my life together with you and thank you for making me feel so special.

You know, Nanna always told me to marry a rich man - I couldn't have married a richer man than Michael. He is rich in inner strength, understanding and kindness, in forgiveness and patience. He is my everything and I am very proud to be Mrs Douthie. I'd like to propose a toast to us - the best is yet to come, and to you, our family and friends for showing your love and support by being here with us tonight.

No comments: