Friday, March 04, 2005

One Life Begins Another One Ends....

Well today was my second day home from hospital after having given birth to my gorgeous little man, Ryan only 4 days ago.

Michael was at work as per the norm and I was glowing in the task of motherhood. Sharing 'my time' with my little man in the form of feeding time (morning tea) I was about to quietly read the paper. Nothing different there, always read the births and deaths. The phone rang and it was Mum, 'Have you read the paper yet?', 'No', as she new I always checked the births and deaths. 'I think you should look in the deaths' was all she said.

Mum stayed on the line while I flipped to the Memorium notices....scanning the names, and suddenly my heart sank and I just totally lost it, and I mean lost it. My dear dear friend John Follett had passed away on Wednesday, the day before I was due to come home, fours days after Ryan was born. I was devastated. I didn't even know he was sick (he had kept that from me), and he didn't even get the chance to meet Ryan, how could he....I was in a total state of shock, here I was feeding this new precious little life only to read that a life just a dear to me had ended.

Mum and Dad offered to come and sit with me for awhile, while I got my head around such tragic news. I wanted to ring Rosalie (John's Wife) but didn't know whether that would be appropriate or not. The last time we had spoken was at Christmas time, we always shared letters and card, although I sent them a text message the day after Ryan was born sharing with them the joyous news. Little did I know that John himself was in hospital facing the biggest battle of his life, to live.

I got the courage up to ring Rosalie, and was so glad I did, as was she that I had rung. God had just lost her husband, her soul mate, yet she was so strong. That is what a believe in faith does...
She told me John's story and how he was aware that I had given birth to Ryan and was so happy for us (although secretly knew they would never get the chance to meet). John had married Michael and I back on 20th September, 2003. All I could keep saying was OMG I am so sorry, and saying how much we loved both herself and John, all the while choking on my tears, but still Rosalie was strong.

The funeral was to be on the 7th March. I told Rosalie that the three of us were going to be there not matter what. Although with a new born she didn't expect it. There was no way I wasn't going to say goodbye to this kind and gentle soul. Who had been my rock many times over the years. I was my turn to be there for Rosalie and her family.

With life comes death, this is so true...heartbreaking but true.

No comments: