Monday, March 07, 2005

Farewell My Friend, The Angels Are Calling....

Today, Monday 7th March, Myself, Michael and Ryan said a very sad farewell to a dear dear friend, John Follett.

John sadly passed away to make his journey to a better live on March 2nd, never getting the opportunity to meet our little son. He died just 4 days after Ryan was born.

We attended the funeral along with many, so many of John's family, friends and work colleagues over the years. I dont know how I managed to get through it. I was feeling sick with nerves and butterflies, wondering how I was going to say goodbye to a true gentleman.

The service went for about 1 1/2 hours. A touching tribute to a dear friend, reflecting on a life that was so full of love, life laughter and faith. It was so hard sitting there knowing that we weren't to see this wonderful man again, that he would never get to hold Ryan, officiate at Ryan's naming day (John, why couldn't you have hung on just a little longer old friend, I know that sounds selfish, but I didn't want you to go, it hurt too much).

Ryan was such a little angel through out the ceremony, he slept, while I openly wept at the loss of my friend, every now and then stealing glances at this precious little life alseep at my feet. It was a beautiful service, with John's casket being carried out the waiting chariot that was to deliver him onto the next life, through a guard of honour, made up of all his friends from the CFS, from the many districts in which John had volunteered.

Upon saying goodbye we placed handfuls of rose petals onto his casket. God I was beside myself. I kissed the casket but couldn't bring myself to say goodbye, just seeya later. We went and passed our condolences onto Rosalie and the girls before leaving to bring my new little life home for a feed and a sleep. We didn't need to say anything....

But the most special thing happened on the way home. We were parked out on the main road of the church and were about to pull off the kerb, when the hearse came out of the drive way next to us. Together we travelled the same road for about 3 kms, with John's casket in line with Ryan's car seat. Now some might find this morbid, but I took great strength in the thought, that it was John's way of looking after and over Ryan, the little boy he never got to meet. He was letting us know that he would always look over Ryan, his guardian angel.

Although I could not contain the tears, I felt so special that he had chosen to share some of his last few kilometres of his days on earth with us. The time come for us to part as we turned off, John went up and over the hill and out of sight, we waved his farewell but know he will never be far from us, as he will always be in our hearts.

Love you my special friend, and I know that you will always be looking out for our special little man, Ryan...

God Bless....

No comments: